Jul 18, 2011

WEDDINGS: A Little Bit Of White Is Alright

Although the weather hasn't been denoting particularly summery vibes of late, I went to the first of two summer weddings last Saturday. As I mentioned here, I've been going through a bit of a wedding outfit crisis, the three main reasons being: 1) I couldn't wear a dress (for reasons discreetly signified in pictures below), 2) I didn't have a pair of heels to go with the skirt I'd originally bought for the wedding, and 3) I couldn't buy a new pair of heels since I'd spent my money on other items in the sale (oops!). While I thought I'd been clever enough to come up with a solution to the shoe problem, I ended up deciding against that ensemble because I wasn't happy wearing flat black boots to a wedding -- I wanted to wear heels! Hmm. I guess I'm more conservative than I dare admit to myself.

I thus ended up concocting this last minute alternative:


silk blouse VINTAGE skirt ACNE ankle boots BILLI BI

Having heard that you cannot wear white to a wedding unless you're the bride, I was a bit apprehensive about wearing a white skirt at first. But a bit of googling soon revealed that the main reason you can't wear white to a wedding is that you--the horror!--might be mistaken for the bride. However, a little bit of white such as a white bodice or, as in my case, a white skirt should be alright. Just make sure the white is not dominant (unless the bride specifically told you it's okay) by adding some other colours (although perhaps not the most colourful, black is a colour). Certainly, the couple whose wedding I attended last Saturday had no beef with my attire. The outfit was simple, put-together and not too loud, thus allowing the bride to stand out. Which she should, it being her day and all.

No comments: