Feb 11, 2012

ACCESSORIES THAT WILL SMARTEN YOUR LOOK: BOOKS

If you're not sure which glasses suit the shape of your face, don't despair. Glasses aren't the only accessory that'll make you look smarter; books will do that too! As opposed to the chicken-and-egg conundrum, it's even possible to determine which of these two smart-ifying accessories came first. Frequent reading has long been known to increase your chances of developing myopia. Thus, we may safely assume that books came before eye glasses, see? But books are so much more than mere winners of who-came-first conundrums; they're also square and papery points of entry to exciting parallel universes. So who cares if you lose the power to see clearly in order to get there? After all, it's all about the journey, right? And if you're lucky, your nose might compensate by developing a keener sense of smell!

 I love my book collection better than my weak eyes. I also love my glasses better than my weak eyes. Now that I come to think of it, my weak eyes don't get a whole lot of love, although they might actually be the ones in most urgent need of it. Eyes also win the who-came-first conundrum; they definitely came before both books and glasses. Employing my eyes, I sometimes wear glasses and read books simultaneously. Especially if I'm not wearing contacts.

Mumbo jumbo aside, I used to buy books compulsively on PLAY all the time, but then slowed down a bit when I realised that I had a habit of getting a whole lot more than I read. After all, books have been known to hang out on my shelves for ten years plus, before I get around to picking them up and actually reading them. This week I did manage to get my grubby little hands on four new ones though. We're talking a '2 for €10.98' deal here. But which ones did I get and why?


Everything about that first Agatha Christie cover is epic: the black typography, the yellow background, not to mention the deal breaker--the nifty "Crime Club Choice" slogan. Of course, I also just generally love Agatha. She's my favorite go-to writer when I lack the hunger and curiosity for getting acquainted with new stuff. Reading her is like coming home or at least returning to a place that never changes. Whenever I finish one of her books, I always find myself wishing I had another one to get immediately stuck into. Getting two should cover that problem. At least once, anyway.


I was happy to find that the latest installment of Bill Willingham's comic book series Fables was also a part of the deal. A plot revolving around a bunch of fairy tale characters living in exile in a contemporary New York ghetto may sound silly, cliché and romantic to the point of being vomit inducing to you, but it isn't really! It's actually great story telling that employs such winning elements as character development and depth, not to mention power struggles, loss and destruction in more than ample doses. Oh, and love too. Also between humans and animals. There's a plethora of well thought out links between different more or less known fairy tales and characters. For example, Prince Charming is the Prince Charming of all fairy tales and consequently a cunning, sweet talking player of a man who's been married to and divorced from both Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. Fables have been running since 2002, but major changes have been happening in Fabletown recently, and I can't wait to see what all this super hero talk is about!

Finally, I love to read about the lives of clever, talented people, and Virginia Woolf fits that bill to a tee. That's all.

No comments: