Jul 5, 2012

I'LL TAKE YOU OUT, BOY

denim shirt WRANGLER (2ND HAND) coated pants DAY BIRGER ET MIKKELSEN (2ND HAND)
blazer ZARA boots DR. MARTENS (2ND HAND) sunnies MARC JACOBS bag URBAN OUTFITTERS

Catching flies whilst dressed as a mister. I love dressing like a mister. It makes me feel cool and inconspicuously sexy. I really want to roll down my sleeves in that picture though. And I also just want a better black blazer. So please, thrifting gods, send one down the stream for me, okay?

Thrifting prayers aside, I want to talk a bit about denim shirts, since, as you can see, I happen to be wearing one in the picture. I unearthed the shirt two weeks ago when I stopped by a random charity shop in my father's area of town. Having been on the look-out for a denim shirt since I started thrifting, it felt especially gratifying to finally find the right one. Apart from being a classic, I have a lot of memories tied up to the denim shirt. I remember the first denim shirt I owned. I remember it because the shirt was a sort of the catalyst for quite a dramatic image change for me. It was 1990, I was still nine and watching a random movie on TV one weekend afternoon when one of the friends of the protagonist, a young woman with an impressive mane of curly, honey blonde hair, suddenly appeared on the screen donning a loose denim shirt with a loosely fastened black leather belt on top. She'd paired it with black leggings and a pair of maroon cowboy boots, and I was in awe. I'd never thought of wearing my denim shirt this way before, but after seeing this, it pretty much became the only way in which I wore it. I remember immediately changing into the components I already had (shirt, black leather belt and black leggings) and wearing the outfit out to play with my friends when I'd finished watching the movie. Needless to say, I felt AWESOME. As for the rest, I got my hands on a pair of cowboy boots soon enough, and my parents were even surprisingly easy to convince on the perm job. Perhaps, the latter wasn't really all that surprising though. We had, after all, just come out of a decade obsessed with curly hair and poodle rock.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I love the yellow laces on your tan Docs, so good.

Maxens M. Finch said...

Great boots, I'm envious.
I really like reading personal stories relating to personal style and such. If you've any more to tell think about your readers, please? :) (yeah, it sounds weird.)

d.h.e.r. said...

Thank you, Maxens M. Finch (such a great screen name). Hopefully, I have a couple more anecdotes in me yet. I looked at your blog, by the way, and became a reader - it was too tangy not to. ^_^